The HR Services advisory team comprises 15 professionals, qualified to the highest levels, many of whom have spent their entire careers advising, and some being educated by Hertfordshire schools. The HR advisory team is proud of the strength of adviser relationships and strong working partnerships with schools and academies.
Herts for Learning’s HR Services advisory team currently works with a high majority of Hertfordshire schools and academies, and has done so for many years. Feedback tells us there is a very high satisfaction rate for the service.
Two annual services are available, and academies can select which best suits their requirements:
- core HR service
- full HR service
Core HR service
The core HR service comprises unlimited access to telephone and email support, typically covering:
- disciplinary issues
- absence management
- grievances (including bullying and harassment and whistleblowing)
- settlement agreements
- management of trade union negotiations/relations
- support with TUPE transfers
- restructures and redundancies
- facilitating job evaluations/advising on job grading
- providing model job descriptions
- access to Herts for Learning’s web resources, detailing up‑to-date education news, template letters, basic and specialist practice guides
In addtion, the core service provides one half‑day face-to-face meeting or on‑site visit, and attendance at hearings where statutorily required. Additional on‑site support is charged at an hourly rate of £90.
Full HR service
In addition to the services offered in the core HR service, the full HR service includes unlimited on‑site visits to enable issues to be discussed face to face; implementation of change management projects; attendance at consultation meetings (both collective and individual); terminations, including appeals and most hearings where a sanction could be imposed.
Schools and academies that subscribe to the full HR service benefit from a 10% discount on HR training courses and additional services (except insurance).
Contact: Christine Dyson , Service Development Lead
Tel: 01438 843192
Mediation is an increasingly popular alternative to the grievance process, and is very effective in terms of success rates and saved managerial
time. Several of Herts for Learning’s HR advisers are professionally trained and nationally accredited mediators.
Investigations into situations, such as bullying and harassment complaints or potential staff misconduct, can require extremely sensitive handling, and need a sufficiently experienced and skilled member of staff to deal with them. However, situations such as this can be very time‑consuming and do not always represent the best use of management time.
Instructing an external independent investigator can often be a more efficient use of resource and can remove the emotional stress that sometimes occurs with internal investigations. Due to the differing complexities of investigations and the varying numbers of witnesses to be interviewed, a fixed price can only be given after initial discussion of the case (10% discount applies for full service subscribers).
Confidential note taking support
The HR Services advisory team offers a confidential note taking support service for HR meetings.
Full list and prices available upon request. Please call 01438 844873 or email email@example.com
Training and events programme
Herts for Learning offers a broad HR training and events programme, from bespoke HR inductions for new headteachers and deputy headteachers, through to workshops on specialist subjects, and general HR updates. For full details visit: HfL training courses
Coaching and mentoring with HR practitioners
For specialist HR staff working within schools, academies or multi academy trusts, a bespoke coaching and mentoring service is available from experienced HR practitioners within the HR Services advisory team. Coaching and mentoring help individuals:
- deepen expertise in the HR field
- upskill in handling complex cases or situations
- access support in broadening HR experience and qualifications
Organisation design and development for multi academy trusts
Specialist support is available to multi academy trusts on the development journey, from the beginning of a multi academy trust formation onwards. This service includes:
- organisation and role design
- alignment of people policies and procedures across multi academy trusts
- change management and staff engagement
- prices vary and are available
Bespoke training development for multi academy trusts
Herts for Learning’s HR Services advisory team provide a training development service for HR practitioners within multi academy trusts, to bring together tailored HR courses and upskill internal practitioners so that training can be delivered directly, or co-delivered with support from Herts for Learning.
Succession Planning and Leadership Appointment Service
Succession Planning and Leadership Appointment Service Hertfordshire (SPLASH) supports academies in their succession planning, recruiting and appointing of senior leadership posts, including:
- a flexible service tailored to individual academies’ succession planning and recruitment needs
- production of application packs and advertisements
- guidance with shortlisting, interviews and appointment
- advice on meeting national Safer Recruitment requirements
- negotiated discounted rates on TES and The Guardian advertisements when using the SPLASH service (Note: the cost of placing advertisements in relevant publications/websites is additional)
Full details and prices available on request.
Please call 01438 844873 or email firstname.lastname@example.org