Teaching and learning
Herts for Learning’s primary teaching and learning advisers are a team of experienced subject specialists and outstanding practitioners who have a wealth of school improvement experience. Their research work with schools enables them to develop new strategies and innovative approaches that help achieve the best outcomes for children by: meeting raised expectations through appropriate challenge; focusing on progression through assessment for learning; sharpening provision; personalising learning; and enhancing pedagogy.
The advisers are committed to ensuring that all their nationally acclaimed resources and training are cost‑effective and provide good value for money.
The team has extensive expertise in working with a wide variety of schools – mainstream, independent and special – to offer high‑quality professional development. It has a proven track record of working effectively to develop approaches that build the capacity of subject leaders; improve quality first teaching; increase attainment; accelerate progress for children; and ensure that schools and academies remain at the forefront of outstanding practice.
Through a combination of Continuing Professional Development (INSET) and in‑school consultancy, the primary teaching and learning team will build a bespoke package of support to help a school or academy to raise its standards. Additional services include:
- Primary PA Plus – online subject specific materials
- implementation of effective assessment systems to replace life without levels
- leading collaborative research projects, such as improving phonics and mathematical fluency
Herts for Learning’s secondary teaching and learning advisers provide nationally acclaimed consultancy, bespoke training, guidance and cross-phase support to school leaders, teachers, teaching assistants, subject leaders and parents, to improve outcomes for children.
They have a wealth of in-depth knowledge about curriculum and subject expertise, and experience of developing and improving schools. Advisers have extensive experience, a proven track record and well-established relationships with schools and local partners. They work alongside schools to provide a bespoke package of monitoring, support, challenge and intervention, which has a real impact on the standards of teaching and learning.
The specialist, secondary subject advisers at Herts for Learning are the first-choice providers of high‑quality, targeted support for schools in Hertfordshire and beyond. They offer support for English, maths, science and languages, as well as other subjects by request.
Herts for Learning offers a menu of activities to develop a bespoke support package that addresses the particular improvement needs of a school.
These activities include:
- support to raise standards in all subjects
- specialist support for subject leaders
- developing the leadership role of a head/coordinator of subject
- preparation for Ofsted
- planning for good behaviour
- writing a subject self-evaluation
- writing a subject development plan
- “ good to outstanding” teaching and learning in all subjects
- developing an intervention plan and activities
- guidance on GCSE and A level specifications
- departmental reviews
- planning schemes of work
- enriching the curriculum
- subject-specific assessment guidance
- guidance and planning for differentiation
- support for teachers in lesson planning
- support for monitoring and observing classroom practice
- target setting, and tracking the progress of students
- identification and development for individual needs
- analysis of curriculum documentation
- advice and guidance on curriculum design
- personalising provision through guided learning
For further information on all Herts for Learning’s school improvement consultancy and advisory services, contact email@example.com
or call 01438 845111.
‘Fantastic ideas shared – really good pace. I wish every course was as productive’
‘Excellent advice, support and CPD. Impact on subject leader capacity was considerable and the consultant’s knowledge and skills to support dissemination were very good.’
‘I thought you might like to know that our Science department improved their GCSE results by 10%. Though it was painful at the time, the efforts from all concerned really paid dividends. Your part in the process was crucial and made a real impact.’
‘Course exceeded expectations - informative, thorough, covered all key areas. Tutor was approachable, knowledgeable and willing to offer support post-course’