To mitigate significant disruption to the mathematics curriculum over the last year, Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) is offering a £200 subsidy to every Hertfordshire maintained Primary school to take part in a specially designed summer term programme.
Summer Success in Mathematics is a structured 12-week whole-school research CPD programme commencing Wednesday 28th April. The programme is complete with professional development and resources suitable for all schools developed by the HfL Primary mathematics team.
Lead Teaching and Learning Adviser (mathematics), David Cook stated:
“The past year has been immensely challenging for teachers and leaders. The dynamism and resilience in maintaining a focus on mathematics has been both amazing and inspiring. But we also know it has been very demanding and teaching time this year is now limited. Our 'Summer Success in Mathematics' aims to help you strategically manage the choices. It provides leaders and teachers with the support and resources that are needed to make the most of the available learning time. We are delighted that HCC have recognised the impact this programme is set to have on pupils before they move up year groups at the end of the summer term and are offering schools this subsidy to ensure as many as possible take part.”
When told about the forthcoming 12-week programme, Ria Fenton, Assistant Principal, The Grove Academy in Watford said:
“In spite of the considerable disruption HfL has really supported us in adapting to keep maths on track. I am looking forward to the Summer Success plans.”
The HfL specialist Primary mathematics advisers believe that now is the time for schools to exert their energies and focus on the key learning:
“Securing understanding of the significant concepts will support continued pupil success.”
There are many benefits to focusing upon fewer but conceptually significant areas of the curriculum:
- this allows teachers to construct deep learning in a connected way
- helps teachers to manage the curriculum demands
- lays strong foundations for future learning
- working on what is important and what is achievable
- success breeds success – builds pupil confidence now to motivate for further learning
Summer Success in Mathematics programme outline:
Diagnostic assessment resources support each teacher to identify the key focuses and build a plan to maximise teaching time.
End of year ‘milestones’ and assessment materials help leaders and teachers build a profile of learning. This supports transition and further planning adaptations for the next academic year.
Professional development will be provided in the form of webinars.
- the leadership focus starts and ends the term with live Leadership workshop webinars for Subject Leaders at 1:30-3:15pm on Wednesday 28th April and Wednesday 7th July
- the individual year group workshop webinars for classroom teachers will take place at 1:30-3:15pm on:
- Year 1: Tuesday 11th May
- Year 2: Wednesday 12th May
- Year 3: Thursday 13th May
- Year 4: Thursday 20th May
- Year 5: Tuesday 18th May
- Year 6: Wednesday 19th May
- Years 1-6 Sum1 diagnostic suite to identify concept significance focuses
- Years 1-6 ‘Milestones’ and support materials
- high-value learning teaching plan
- transition and curriculum adaptation support materials
All resources will be accessible via the learning platform. This will include the recorded webinars if ‘attendance’ at the live event is not possible.
Full programme costs
All schools £450*
Small schools (10% discount)*
*Hertfordshire County Council is offering a £200 subsidy to every Hertfordshire primary school on all of the above prices which will be applied at the time of invoicing.
For full booking terms and conditions and to book your school on to the 12-week programme, please visit the HfL CPD Hub:
Full details and access details to join the learning platform will be sent upon booking after which leaders and teachers can then register for their webinars.
For further information or queries, please contact the HfL Events team at email@example.com or call 01438 544477.