A secondary school Parent2Parent® (P2P) pilot programme is being launched this term, follow¬ing feedback from Hertfordshire schools. P2P was originally launched in primary schools last year and has been very successful, both in terms of take-up and impact.
After requests from secondary schools, the programme has now been developed for parents of KS3 and KS4 pupils. The first pilot course has been held at Monk’s Walk Secondary School in Welwyn Garden City and focusses on training parents and carers to improve learning experiences at home by understanding key teaching and learning behaviours.
Tailored to secondary schools and teenagers, the programme focuses on:
- Dealing with stress (including emotional intelligence and healthy lifestyle)
- Developing confidence (including problem-solving)
- Brain development (including teen development and changes)
- Improving communication (including Importance of building relationships)
- Increasing motivation (including resilience)
- Independent thinking (including determination and responsibility)
- The programme will shortly be made available to other secondary schools in Hertfordshire.
By Ryan Fisher