Developing young scientists bundle - part 1 & 2
The Developing Young Scientists bundle includes both parts 1 and 2 and additional audit tools which support schools in evaluating and improving enquiries and recording in science.
The Herts for Learning ‘Developing young scientists part 1
A guide to child-led enquiry’ resource provides primary phase teachers with practical advice, examples and activities that develop child-led enquiry. Child-led enquiry motivates and engages children while providing opportunity to develop working scientifically skills.
This practical resource includes:
- a commentary on what is really meant by ‘enquiry’
- a discussion on how to move from teacher-led to more child-led enquiry in both KS1 and KS2
- top tips for enhancing child-led enquiry in the classroom
- 24 simple and engaging activities (linked to the National Curriculum) to spark children’s interest, get them asking questions and acting like independent scientists
- a comprehensive list of progressive working scientifically criteria linked to the activities
The Herts for Learning ‘Developing young scientists part 2
A guide to supporting children in reviewing, reporting and writing in science’ resource provides primary phase teachers with practical advice about recording in science to support children in evidencing their learning. With guidance, activities and examples of children’s work, teachers will be supported in developing the challenging working scientifically skills of conclusions and evaluations. Teachers will also gain a range of creative and engaging ideas for ways that children can share their scientific understanding.
- This invaluable resource includes:
- guidance on development of working scientifically skills and recording in science
- a detailed commentary on progression in the working scientifically skill areas of conclusions and evaluations across KS1 and KS2
- guidance on how to support children with analysing data relevant to mathematics and science
- creative ideas for sharing scientific understanding through developing meaningful links with English
As schools prepare for the full return of pupils in September, we look at the challenges ahead for governors in supporting schools to get pupils back on track10 July 2020
Induction issues: developing subject knowledge for colleagues new to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
This blog looks at some key issues around inducting colleagues who are new to the EYFS, and introduces an exciting new online course from HfL that will enable colleagues to quickly develop confidence…09 July 2020
A final, summer special edition of our weekly blogs – this week sharing a dazzling array of book suggestions that celebrate holidays at home.Teaching & Learning, Subject leadership 08 July 2020