Developing young scientists - part 1
A guide to developing child-led enquiry in primary science.
The Herts for Learning ‘Developing young scientists part 1 - a guide to child-led enquiry’ resource provides primary phase teachers with practical advice, examples and activities that develop child-led enquiry. Child-led enquiry motivates and engages children while providing opportunity to develop working scientifically skills.
This practical resource includes:
- a commentary on what is really meant by ‘enquiry’
- a discussion on how to move from teacher-led to more child-led enquiry in both KS1 and KS2
- top tips for enhancing child-led enquiry in the classroom
- 24 simple and engaging activities (linked to the National Curriculum) to spark children’s interest, get them asking questions and acting like independent scientists
- a comprehensive list of progressive working scientifically criteria linked to the activities
I have really enjoyed using the book as it has significantly helped improve my teaching practice in supporting 'child-led' enquiry' and my focus on the working scientifically skills. This in turn has improved the accuracy of my science assessments. There are some really fun and engaging activities and ideas in the book. As the science leader of a large junior school, and in conjunction with our school being on the PSQM journey, this book has helped me share ideas with staff for their own lessons and has formed the basis of our termly science days and science week. Staff feel more confident in teaching more open ended investigations and have noted that children are more engaged and using more scientific vocabulary.
Science Subject Leader - Wheatfield Junior School
Sophie MacNeill shares some key thoughts on how we can approach the recovery journey ahead of usTeaching & Learning, Assessment 03 July 2020
11th edition of our weekly blogs sharing a range of teaching and learning ideas & activities, CPD, and news to support Primary English learning during lockdown.Teaching & Learning, Subject leadership 01 July 2020
Announcing the Herts for Learning Back on Track: English packages, a wide range of carefully considered tools, guidance and resources to ensure that the revised English curriculum is able to address…Leadership & Management, Curriculum 01 July 2020