Primary science teaching and learning advisory services
Our advisers support schools in delivering an exciting and engaging science curriculum, and bring together a wide range of expert knowledge, skills and ideas.
Herts for Learning’s science advisers have a national reputation for providing professional development and school support, and work with local and national partners such as STEM Learning, Science Learning Partnerships, CLEAPSS and the Primary Science Quality Mark.
Their wealth of experience and local knowledge ensures that professional development is tailored to the setting and they provide bespoke training and consultancy for both primary and secondary settings.
Primary science consultancy packages include:
- designing an engaging science curriculum (3 hours or 2 hours twilight)
- developing and embedding effective science assessment (3 hours consultancy or 2 hours twilight)
- developing working scientifically skills (3 hours consultancy or 2 hours twilight)
- developing and implementing child-led enquiry (3 hours consultancy or 2 hours twilight)
- developing outdoor learning (2 hours twilight)
- subject leader support and coaching (3 hours/6 hours consultancy)
- auditing science in primary (6 hours including report writing)
- moderating science assessments (3 hours)
- creating cross curricular links through the science curriculum (3 hours consultancy or 2 hours twilight))
- Primary Science Quality Mark (National programme, please visit: www.psqm.org.uk for more details and the application process)
Our packages are tailored to your need, so please contact us at email@example.com to discuss your needs.
Developing Young Scientists parts 1 and 2 are resources for teachers with practical advice, examples and activities for teaching science in the primary phase.
Part 1 ‘Developing young scientists - a guide to child-led enquiry’ outlines what is meant by child-led enquiry and contains 24 activities which support teachers with the experience, wonder, plan and investigate stages of the enquiry cycle.
Part 2 ‘Developing young scientists - a guide to supporting children in reviewing, reporting and writing in science’ focuses on what comes after this and supporting children to review and explain what they have found out.
Find out more about this resource and our other science resources
Our advisers also work as hub leaders for the Primary Science Quality Mark (PSQM) and support schools in working towards this national award. The award enables primary schools across the UK to evaluate, strengthen and celebrate their science provision.
Schools can achieve PSQM Award, PSQM Gilt Award and PSQM Outreach Award and are offered support and training to develop their science provision. The award is made to a school for impact on teaching and learning of effective leadership in science.
Please visit: www.psqm.org.uk for more details and the application process.
In response to the removal of levels in the National Curriculum, our team has developed the Primary Science Package to support schools with planning and assessment.
The package contains a range of resources that have been designed to support teachers in developing understanding of the broad National Curriculum objectives and working scientifically requirements. The resources include:
- a progression in scientific knowledge booklet
- age related expectation sheets for scientific knowledge
- working scientifically tracking sheets
- working scientifically assessment tasks (and associated resources)
Herts for Learning acts as a broker for the CLEAPSS membership and RPA services providing a cost saving to schools and supporting them to comply with the requirements of the 2017 ionising radiation regulations.
CLEAPSS provides the Health and Safety advice and guidance that underpin safe and effective practical activity for pupils aged 5-19 in science, design and technology and art for the majority of primary and secondary schools in Hertfordshire.
For more information and this service and membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org