Making sense of ‘x’ - building multiplication fluency in LKS2
Are you worried that many of your Lower Key Stage 2 (LKS2) children just cannot seem to learn their multiplication facts? The Herts for Learning - Making sense of ‘x’ pilot research project aims to measure the impact of providing children with a progressive pathway through multiplication concepts such as group structure, co-ordinating units, associative and distributive law. The project will incorporate strategies such as skip counting, number pattern recognition and control of the array.
By the end of the pilot project our Primary mathematics advisers will refine a diagnostic assessment and develop a range of proven teaching resources to improve the trajectory of LKS2 pupils by increasing the number of pupils able to access multiplication understanding and facts fluently.
Three advisers from the HfL Primary maths team will lead the project: Charlie Harber, Rachel Rayner and Rachael Watt.
The research project will be delivered in at least 4 phases to schools in Hertfordshire and the surrounding counties. Starting in March 2019 and extending into 2020, each cohort will last 11 weeks.
Participating schools will be required to identify a teacher (Year 3 or Year 4) and a nominated project lead who can commit to the following activities -
1. One central training day for two delegates.
2. Baseline assessment of 6 children using the HfL Multiplication fluency check and submit data.
3. A half-day consultancy support in participant schools.
4. A half-day cluster meeting/training (twilight session).
5. Impact assessment of six children using the HfL Multiplication fluency check and submit data
6. Advisers diagnosing gaps and barriers for children as well as impact assessed at the beginning and end of the project
Schools for the pilot project are being selected by application; and expressions of interest for this innovative project can be registered by completing the online Expressions of Interest form
Phase 1 is now fully booked and we taking expressions of interest for phases 3 and 4.
Phase 2 launch date: Tuesday 24th September 2019 (fully booked)
Phase 3 launch date: Tuesday 22nd October 2019 (limited places remaining)
Phase 4 launch date: to be confirmed
Deputy Primary Teaching & Learning Adviser - Mathematics
Tel: 01438 845111 (option 2)